Melvin Got His Wings

June 29, 2015

I said goodbye to dear Melvin yesterday, on his 16th birthday. A noticeable decline began last week while we were in Atlanta and continued through the weekend. By Sunday night I knew it was likely time to let him go. Monday morning confirmed my fears. How perfect that perfect-Melvin should leave this world on the same day he entered it. We spent the day together. In the morning we sat on the porch of the cabin. He mostly slept while I looked through the hundreds of pictures I've taken of him through the years. In the afternoon we visited my mom, my sister, and all his dog friends.

I adopted Melvin when he was a year old. Fifteen years he's been with me. He was with me when I turned 40, then 50. He was with me when I bought the land and the first time I camped on it. He was with me for every construction weekend while we built the cabin. He walked the path to Mama's house countless times. He was a great traveler and made the transition between country life and city life with ease. Even with declining health, he traveled with me weekly between Atlanta and the cabin in recent months, always happy to GO. As long as he was with me, he didn't care where we were.

Melvin made a great effort in recent weeks to adapt to his new wheels, and he used them some, but in the end he was just too tired and too worn-out, even with wheels-for-feet. Alas, he needed wings. And now he has them.

I put together a collection of some favorite photos of Melvin through the years. Clink here for a link to the album. 

Here are links to other posts I've written about Melvin:
The Cart That Daddy Built
Melvin at the Beach
Crossing the Creek
Happy Birthday Melvin
A Good Dog Story
A Girl's Best Friend

Melvin
June 29, 1999 - June 29, 2015 


Comments

  1. That was beautiful...I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet pictures of Melvin. Run free sweet dog.. Take care of yourself Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful soul, so much love in these amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet boy! Thank you for always sharing him with us. He was always a welcome sight in my media feeds.😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Benny: A Very Good Boy

Benny, The Rescue